Thursday, 15 September 2011

Ten things about NaNoWriMo

1
NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, but it is actually an international affair.

2
It's only 47 days until NaNoWriMo 2011. Time to start planning this year's novel.

3
If it weren't for NaNoWriMo, I'd still be in the "One Day I'll Write a Novel" camp.

4
The first week, or the first four days at least, I wish it could be November all year. The story writes itself, the dialogue sparkles and I'm sure that my novel is a bestseller in the making.

5
The most important thing I learnt: Give yourself permission to write crap. You'll surprise yourself.

6
Write-ins are awesome. The accumulative creative energy helps keeping you going. Whenever I've been to a write-in, I've written much more than anticipated and some of it was rather good, too.

7
The NaNo forums are great. In November, before you've written you're 1667 words for the day, they are also dangerous. Before you know it, you've written half a novel's worth of forum posts but made zero progress on your novel.

8
Before I discovered NaNoWriMo, I hated November. Now, I love it. Even when it's going slow, the characters are misbehaving or writing the next word is about as enjoyable as a ride on a crowded tube train that is retraining to be an oven. I love November.

9
I also love writing about NaNo. There will be more NaNo-themed posts between now and November.

10
2011 will be my tenth NaNoWriMo. Where has the time gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment